2015 DIY Cards

2015 DIY Cards

As I was transitioning all my content and branding over to my new site, I had been holding off a new set of business cards until just about everything else was setup and good to go. I finally got to that point at the tail end of 2015 and decided I was ready to do a new run of cards – and that I wanted to go a little DIY with these.

Around this time, I became aware of Lumi and their custom rubber stamps. You can get a business card sized design manufactured and shipped with an ink pad for around $20-$30. I designed and ordered stamps for the front and reverse side of the cards. Keeping it simple, I stuck with my bare contact information for the front side and a simple logo for the back.

For paper, I went with French Paper Co Musceltone 140 lb cover stock in Speckletone Starch White. I wanted paper with a little character and this recycled stock has a rugged look with little flecks of different paper pulp colors and a subtly textured handfeel. I purchased a 50 pack of 8.5 x 11 and stopped by a local print shop to have them cut to business card size.

Here’s where things didn’t go entirely to plan. The company I had cut my cards did a poor job. A number of the cards came out with dented edges, they were not the exact same size (with up to a couple millimeters of variation), and some weren’t even cut square on all corners. This proved challenging when I went to edge paint my cards after stamping.

When you edge paint cards with spray acrylic, the more uniformly you can stack them, the neater the edge painting will turn out. These cards were mismatched in size, so when I went to paint them, I ended up with a lot of duds where the paint had made it over the edge. Not a huge deal as this was more of an experiment than anything, but I was still disappointed.

Despite the issues, the cards that came out as intended were pretty cool. This is a process that invites a bit of trouble as there are several steps in the order of operations that can go wrong. I went into it mainly hoping to have fun and didn’t stress the mishaps much. So as a trial run, things went decently.

Info
Category:
Client:

Self Initiated