Business Card Experiment #1

Update: The nice folks over at Lumi (who manufacture the rubber stamps I used for these cards) recently interviewed me about this project and you can check out their post about that on their blog. Really cool of them to reach out like that.

As I was working to transition all my content and branding over from my old website (lowfrequency.net) over to this site (nicetriangle.com), I had been holding off a new set of business cards until just about everything else was setup and good to go. I finally got to that point at the tail end of October and decided I was ready to do a new run of cards and that I wanted to go a little DIY with these.

The plan: hand stamped, edge painted cards on 18pt cardstock.

1V8A9960

Around this time, I became aware of Lumi and their super sweet custom rubber stamps. These stamps are both excellent in quality and highly affordable. You can get a business card sized design manufactured and shipped with an ink pad for somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$30 and it will hit your doorstep within about 3 days. Crazy. I created and ordered designs for the front and reverse side of some business cards and I think I spent maybe $44 on the whole order. I wanted to to keep it simple, so I stuck with just my bare contact information for the front side and my Angry Kitty Triangle logo for the back.

1V8A0085

I wanted to use some cool paper for these too and have been meaning to work on a project that involved French Paper Co paper for a while. They’re very highly regarded by the design community and have been making paper for six generations now. I chose their Musceltone 140 lb cover stock in the Speckletone Starch White color (shown up close in the above photo). I wanted a white paper with a little character and this recycled paper has a rugged look with its little flecks of different paper pulp colors and it also has a subtly textured handfeel. Good stuff. I purchased this paper in a 50 pack of 8.5 x 11 (letter) sized sheets and stopped by a local print company where I live to have them cut into business card size.

1V8A0087

Here’s where things didn’t go entirely to plan. The local company I had cut my cards did a pretty poor job of it. A number of the cards came out with dented edges, they were not the exact same size (with up to a couple millimeters in variation), and some weren’t even cut precisely square on all corners. Sheesh. This would prove challenging when I went to edge paint my cards after stamping both sides. When you edge paint business cards with spray acrylic, the more uniformly you can stack them, the neater the edge painting will turn out. These cards were pretty mismatched in size, so when I went to paint them, I ended up with a lot of dud cards where the paint had made it over the edge. Not a huge deal as this was more of an experiment than a mission critical project, but I was still a little disappointed.

1V8A0107

Despite the issues I ran into, the cards that I stamped evenly and edge painted correctly came out looking pretty cool. This is a process that certainly invites a bit of trouble as there are several steps in the order of production that can go wrong, especially for the uninitiated.

I went into it mainly hoping to have fun and didn’t stress the mishaps much and so I’d say as a first trial run, things went decently. I also saved enough paper for another round or two and have ordered some other ink colors to play with using multiple colors on the same card. Those should arrive soon and I’m excited to keep fiddling with it.

I’ve included the full gallery of photos from this project below. I hope you’ve enjoyed checking it out.

Service(s): Collateral

Other Projects